Sunday, March 10, 2013

Seasons

I am sitting on my couch this morning looking out my window at the beautiful Colorado scenery.  We had a snow storm yesterday that dropped about 8 inches of snow on us, but today, there's nothing but clear blue skies and a brilliant spring sun.  That might sound rather strange to some of you, but March is statistically our snowiest month here in Colorado.  So, although the calendar says spring is almost here, the weather does not always agree.  Our April showers are usually snow showers.  I like it though.  It took me some getting used to when I first moved here.  Now, I look forward to the spring snow showers that alternate with warm sunny days.

It's also the start of Daylight Savings today.  That means we lost an hour overnight and we had to set our clocks forward.  That's something else I've had to get used to since moving here.  In Arizona we don't observe DST.  I never had to reset my clock or remember when we were springing forward or falling back.  It's taken me some time to adjust to doing it.  I still sometimes forget.  Thankfully, my husband has lived with DST almost his entire life and he helps me remember when we need to reset the clocks.

As I sit here and reflect on the changing seasons that bring differences in weather and differences in time, I realize how much of my life is very similar.  There are seasons I experience and changes in time and weather that go along with it.  I am not now what I once was, nor is the time I am living in anything like the times I have lived in.  There are new experiences waiting for me, new challenges to face, new joys to thrill me, and new memories to make.  For a person like me who gets bored rather quickly with monotony, that is an exciting thought.  To view life, not as an endless stream of mundane routines you perform day in and day out, but as a series of cycles that continuously changes is much more invigorating, I think.  Life is not one long winter with sorrows and griefs, nor is it one long summer with endless joys and mirth.  It is an ebb and flow of winter, spring, summer, and fall, with each season being different from the last and different even from it's prior occurrence.  With each new season there is a new opportunity to learn and grow and enjoy life in a varied way.  I am thankful for those seasons.  I hope I get to experience more of them.

No comments: