Thursday, February 21, 2013

Goodbye, Mr. Monk

I feel like a complete fool saying this, but, the series finale of Monk made me cry.  There are very few movies, TV shows, or books that have that effects on me, but for some reason the producers, directors and actors of the series Monk were able to pull it off.  I'm sure you're probably wondering why I am writing about this now, some 3 to 4 years after the show ended.  Well, I was never able to watch the entire series when it was on.  I would catch episodes here and there when a network decided to air reruns, or I would happen to sit down and watch TV on the regularly scheduled night for the show to air.  In all, I think saw fewer than 20 of the 125 episodes the show had, and I never saw any of the final season.

Mr. Darcy and I can't afford cable and our TV gets only one local channel with any sort of consistency.  So, we decided last year to buy Netflix and use that as our entertainment.  When I realized several months ago that they had all 8 seasons of Monk, I began slowly making my way through each episode.  Honestly, it is some of the best TV I have ever watched.  The character development and human behaviors they explore were fascinating and hilarious.  I work with a lot of people who share characteristics with the show's main character, Mr. Monk, and it's so funny to see some of the behaviors and their results played out on a screen.

I knew I was getting close to the end of the series over the past few weeks and I had been anticipating the season/series finale for a while.  As I got closer and closer, the anticipation kept growing and I was so excited to watch the final 2 episodes.  The story line wasn't all that incredible, but the acting and the feel of the show was.  By the end of it I was tearing up and trying really hard not to outright bawl.  As I sat there watching the end, listening to the absolutely perfect song they played, I realized that in so many ways I identified with this show, with the stories and the characters, the struggles and the triumphs.  Then I realized that I am going to miss it.  I'm going to miss the feelings it gave me and the laughter it brought.  I'm going to miss cheering for Mr. Monk and cringing in shock and horror and some of his antics.  Of course, I can always watch reruns, but it's not the same.  I know that shows can't last forever, but this is one I am really sad couldn't.  My hat is off to every cast and crew member of this show.  Thank you for helping me create enjoyable, fun memories. :)

No comments: