Sunday, March 3, 2013

This and That

Forgive me for not blogging in over a week.  Work has been so busy and I have been slammed with paperwork.  It seems as though the paperwork might never end. :/   Sometimes I feel like more than half my job as a therapist is spent doing paperwork, which seems crazy to me.  There is some form to fill out or report to write up for just about everything you do in the therapy room.  Imagine at least 2 pieces of paperwork for every client you see, and then multiply that by the 40 or so clients I see every week, and you have a mini hill for just one week.  Should it happen, as it usually does, that you only complete a portion of that mini hill, that leaves it for the next week.  Now, imagine it has been several weeks of mini hills and mini hill leftovers and you have a pretty good picture of my life right now.  *Sigh*

On the bright side, I have been doing better about putting all my work aside and getting other things done; things like making dinner for my husband, running laundry, and getting things done around the house.  That's been really good and I am very happy with my success in that area.  Now, if only I could be as productive with my paperwork at my job.

So, as you can see from my above post, my life has been uber busy and I have not had much time to just sit down and blog.  There has been plenty to write about and my thoughts have not ceased just because my fingers have not found the keyboard.  Unfortunately, as per the norm when I have been really busy, now that I am taking a moment to stop and write, I have no desire to catch up on everything I have wanted to write about.  However, I do have something interesting to post for your reading enjoyment - a story from my last session of the day this past Friday.

I was coloring with a young girl using dry erase markers on a whiteboard.  She decided she wanted to make a duck.  After digging around in the marker bin for a while, she finally found a yellow that she felt would work.  She drew a funny shape with a squarish head, a curved back, and a rounded then squared-off tail.  This, she informed me, was her duck.  She then proceeded to draw two eyes and a beak that really wanted to be a triangle but ended up being a twisted rectangle.  Now it gets interesting.  Once her duck had a body and a face, she then pulled a dark red marker from the bin and said, " I am going to draw his heart.  He has a broken heart."  With that she drew a heart shape in the duck's chest and then drew several lines through it to illustrate its brokenness.  "Now," she said, picking out another red marker, "Here is the blood from the duck's broken heart," and she drew two red lines down the front of the duck.  About half-way through the first line, she stopped and declared that the marker she was using was not red, but pink, and she really needed a red marker in order to properly draw the duck's blood.  Despite my shock at the gruesome picture appearing before me, I found her another red marker to use and she proceeded with her blood drawing.  The bloody part of the duck done, she then chose an orange marker to draw the feet - two "L" shaped blocks at the bottom of the body.

She sat back to observe her work.  She looked pretty satisfied.  "OH!" She said suddenly.  "I forgot to draw the baby duck."  She then picked out a purple marker and drew a smaller version of her duck body inside the larger duck's body space.  She gave this baby duck eyes and a beak and then added four lines at the bottom of the baby duck.  Again, she leaned back to survey her work.  "Hmm, that baby duck looks like uh octopus. . . but it's not; it's a baby duck."  With that she put her markers away and our session was done.

No comments: