Thursday, August 6, 2009

Things I Have Noticed

There are several things I have noticed since being here in Colorado. Well, actually there are quite a few things, but there a few that really irk me. First, there is no Dunkin' Donuts store in the entire state. I know, I know, you are shocked and amazed, as was I when I first learned of it. The locals here try to comfort me by offering any of the numerous Starbucks locations as an alternative, but that cannot appease me. There simply is no substitute for Dunkin' Donuts coffee. None. End of the discussion. So, I have comforted myself by preparing to ask family members to at least send me packets of the coffee grinds from the grocery store. It is a sad trade off, but a doable one. Secondly, there is no Trader Joe's grocery store anywhere in the state. Imagine my surprise when I found that one of the hippest most cutting edge natural foods grocery stores cannot be found in the city that claims to be the "greenest" city in the Union. What is this all about? Trader Joe's would be the perfect compliment to the city in which I now live, but there isn't one to be found, and there are those here who do not even know what I am talking about. What has my existence come to? Thirdly, I found that there are no good Mexican restaurants in the area where I live. I didn't see any on my initial travelings around the city so I started asking and everyone who lives here very glumly informed me that the so-called Mexican restaurants here had the most terrible food one could ask for. I guess I will have to wait a few months before I can enjoy real Mexican food again. =( There are many more things I have noticed here, but those are the most pressing for now. My next post should be a more positive one about all the great things I am noticing here. In all seriousness, this place really is great and I am having a good time being here, despite the fact that I cannot have those few things mentioned above. I guess I will learn to live without them and will have to treat myself to them when I am once again in Tucson. =D

No comments: