Wednesday, June 3, 2009

When Prince Charming Proposed

Every girl has dreams of how her true love will one day ask her to spend the rest of her life with him. She plays out the scenario in her head a million times even before she has met the man she wants to spend the rest of her life with. Then, one day she meets him and she starts to really believe that perhaps her dreams might come true. For me, I had been dreaming for a long time, and truth be told, I thought those dreams would never come true. I had resolved in my mind that how a proposal happened and when it happened were not important. The most important thing was who I was going to marry and it didn't matter whether I thought he was Prince Charming or not, as long as I knew he loved me. I met Mr. Darcy almost three years ago and we have been slowly growing closer to each other as the time has gone on. I have to admit, I fell head over heels for him long ago and had already been dreaming about the day when he would ask me to be his wife. But, reality had set in more than once, and not wanting to be continuously disappointed, I had set my dreams in a shelf and tightly tucked away my ideas of how that all important day would happen. I knew I loved him more than anyone else in this whole world and I was confident that he loved me and that, honestly, was already more than what I could have ever asked for. I was happy being with him and had decided that how the relationship progressed didn't really matter as long as we were together. Then, Mr. Darcy did something wonderful. Late in March he transformed into the Prince Charming that every little girls dreams will ride into their lives and sweep them off their feet. For almost two months he planned and set out to give me something I had always dreamed of. Last Tuesday, May 26th, I called my prince to say hello and he asked me if he could spend the evening with me. I agreed, of course, and when I left work I called him to ask what he wanted to do. He nonchalantly replied that he wanted to have dinner with me but he first wanted to watch the sunset with me. This was not unusual for us, we had done it before, and I agreed. I loved spending time with him and I loved watching the sunset. So, after work he met me at my house and informed me that we had about forty minutes until the sun would set and we needed to get going so that we wouldn't miss it. We got in the car and headed towards my favorite spot to watch the sunset. It is a lookout point that is on the far west side of Tucson. The desert is beautiful and the sunset with all its brilliant colors is amazing to see. We arrived at the lookout with some time to spare and we hiked up to our usual spot only to realize that because it was later in the year the sun now set further north and we could not see it from out position. So, we scrambled down the hillside and started up the opposite side, racing to catch the sun before it set. Half way up the other side we ran into some rocks, and as I was in flip-flops I refused to go any further. My prince pleaded with me to keep going and kept reminding me that we were going to miss the sun if we didn't hurry. There was something in his voice that made me want to continue, so I did. We finally made it up the hill and found some boulders to sit on. The view was truly incredible and we could see the sun beginning to drop down behind the horizon. We had made it with two minutes to spare! As we sat there enjoying the beautiful Tucson sunset with all the amazing colors lighting up the sky, my Prince Charming dropped down on his knees, pulled a beautiful ring from his pocket and asked me to be his wife. I was speechless. I was thrilled, elated, shocked and touched all at the same time!!! I couldn't believe that what I had dreamed of for so long was happening right in front of me. He had truly swept me off my feet and I loved him for it! I accepted his proposal on that mountain side and afterward we celebrated by having dinner at one of my favorite places. It was wonderful to sit under the night sky and enjoy each others company. Truly, it was a night to remember and one I will never forget. In so many ways it was the proposal I had always dreamed of and in so many other ways it was more than I could have ever imagined. I have never been so happy in my life and I am excited to count the days until my prince and I are one and can live as such.

No comments: