Thursday, January 19, 2012

The New Year

The new year has started and I feel like I have been running to stay up with it. As always there is plenty to do around me and this year I am feeling like I really want to be a part of as much as I can. The only drawback thus far has been my introverted personality. I love seeing people and talking with people, but it takes so much out of me. I've come to realize that I am much better at one-on-one interactions than I am in group settings. Don't get me wrong, I love being with a group of fun people, I just get very overwhelmed by it all and feel like I've been drained of 20 years of my life when it's all over with. Perhaps that's why the idea of a career as a performing musician never really appealed to me. I love music and I love performing, but dealing with people all the time is way scary for me. Oh well, guess I shouldn't psychoanalyze myself too much.

Back to the new year! I have found myself becoming more and more immersed in my work and finding that I like it more than I originally thought I would. It definitely helps when you have the right tools and materials that are appropriate for your clients. This means that I have been on a shopping spree for children's toys and books. My Christmas gift cards were very useful (and cost effective) in helping me accomplish my giant spending spree and now there is a steady stream of packages arriving at my door every few days. I love it! If I haven't mentioned it already on this blog, I love getting things in the mail or via some delivery service. There's something so wonderful about receiving a tangible item that someone else has packed up specifically for you and placed your address in the Send To spot. I just can't get over how wonderful it is. Ok, nerd tangent over. Anyway, work has been busy but good and my social life is steadily growing. I have so many options these days for human interaction that I sometimes find myself having to pick what I most want to do and sticking with that. Of course, the whole overwhelmed introvert thing has to do with how much I limit my schedule, but still, it's fun to have options.
So, I guess this post is really just to say that the new year is looking like it will be busy and fun and overall a great year. I'm sure there will be much to learn and new horizons to cross, but that means an opportunity for some great adventures. Hooray!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Girl, I use to be an introvert like forever ago!
Tis not a bad thing! Choose who you spend time with it will be more valuable in the long run. Also you won't feel so worn out. I get tired when I stretch myself too thin too. You have the rest of your life to get to know people! One person at a time!

femaleparadox said...

Thanks for the advice, Jen! It's always nice to hear from others, and especially those who can identify in some way with what I am saying. :)

Yinghai said...

Go go Kerry!