Monday, March 26, 2012

Puppy Love

So, as I mentioned in my last post, Mr. Darcy and I recently got a new puppy. When we first started talking about getting a dog, I was a little apprehensive. I didn't want a little critter running around in my kitchen, getting dog hair all over the furniture. Mr. Darcy kept assuring me it wouldn't be like that and that having a dog would be so great. Still, I was skeptical. Then, I say her picture on the Humane Society website and I knew she was perfect. We went to meet her in person and I was sold. We had to have her. Last Saturday we picked her up and took her home, and our journey began. Her name is Chihiro, and I am in love with her. Her name is Japanese and means "A thousand questions" or "A thousand fathoms", and it suits so well. She is our little investigator. She sniffs out everything and is not comfortable in a new place until she has explored every nook and cranny. She is a mischievous little imp with all the hyperness and love a puppy is supposed to have. She is shy but curious and she is so sweet and loving that it's hard to not fall in love with her. Her little tail wagging frantically makes my heart so happy. I love feeling her puppy kisses on my hands and laughing when she tickles my feet with her little puppy tongue. She's a cuddle bug for sure, which makes her the perfect fit for our family. She doesn't like being along and is perfectly happy to sit next to me on the couch and nap while I work on this and that. She's a smart little puppy too. She's been with us for a week now and she's already almost completely house trained. She knows where she can and cannot go in the house and she's quick to ask for a treat when she's been a good puppy. I know this will sound silly, but I never imagined I would love a dog the way I love this little puppy. She has brightened up my life in the past week in ways I never imagined. She has been a real handful at times and she is definitely an added responsibility, but she has made coming home an absolute joy. Chihiro makes me laugh, makes me get out and do more, makes me focus on others rather than myself, and reminds me that love is a powerful motivator. She has been such a great addition to our family and I am so happy we got her.

No comments: