Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas in California

I spent my Christmas in California this year visiting relatives I hadn't seen in years. The trip there was pretty good and the stay was great. I had such a good time catching up with cousins that I hadn't seen in a while and getting re-acquainted with them as well as getting to know their children. There were two things that were really interesting to me. First, my uncle was such an intimidating person when I was a child. I remember that I was pretty much scared to death of talking to him. Seeing him as an adult was very different, but I noticed that he is really an easy-going sort of person that was actually quite funny to talk to. He did so much to make me feel welcome and I loved that I got to see that part of his personality. The second thing was my oldest cousin. She was adopted as a child so I never knew her until this past year. Come to find out, she and I have the same birthday and we are very similar. She was great to talk to. She and I talked for the longest time. Her husband and my dad kept asking what else we could possibly have to talk about. lol. It was really good getting to know her and comparing notes on the family. It's always amazing to me to how much genetics plays a part in how people develop. You can definitely tell my cousin and I are genetically related. The whole trip was really nice. I loved going to California for the first time. All my previous trips have left a horrible taste in my mouth and no desire whatsoever to return. This time I found myself wishing I could stay longer and hoping I can return soon. The trip also had the added bonus of giving my dad and I a lot of time together, just the two of us. We talked about a lot of things and I was really good to be able to just be with him. I've missed my dad so much these past years and I am so thankful God has given me the opportunity to be with him again. As I was with family on Christmas, reflecting over all the family issues there are and thinking of all the things that I have seen happen over the years I couldn't help but be grateful that God had given me the opportunity to not only be with my family but be a part of the work of restoration that I believe He is doing in our lives. The most important thing my cousins and I shared with each other as we sat talking was the desire each one of us has to see our family be a whole family again. I had the distinct feeling that somehow God was using us, the younger generation of the family, to help accomplish His will and His design for our family. There have been so many things happen, so much hurt, and so many rifts in my family. I couldn't even write everything here because its hard for me to keep track of sometimes. But I know God doesn't want things that way and feel that He is doing something new, working in so many ways to change that, and I am thrilled that I can be a part of it.
So, my Christmas was pretty special in more ways than one. Was it perfect? No. There were people I missed and wanted so much to be a part of that day. But, it was a great day.

No comments: