Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Hospital

So I spent a large part of my day in the hospital and man what an experience that was! I was asked "Are you pregnant?" so many times I became programmed to say, "No, I'm not pregnant" to every question.
"Does that hurt?"
"No, I'm not pregnant."
"Where do you feel pain?"
"No, I'm not pregnant."
"Are you ready for x-rays?"
"No, I'm not pregnant?"
"Ready for ultrasound?"
"NO, I'm not pregnant." (Hey, that one was almost legitimate!!! Lol!)

Oh well, I guess it's their job to make sure they don't harm a pregnant woman, but I never knew that pregnancy was the single largest cause of fainting in women. Apparently the majority of fainting women are pregnant. At least that's what I took away from the hospital today. Maybe not; just a perception.
Anyhoo, my day was a but strange. I had x-rays, ultrasounds, blood tests, urine test, blood pressure tests, heart tests and who knows what else. The diagnosis at the end of the day? "Well, you seem to be pretty healthy. Everything came back fairly normal. We don't know what's wrong with you but we can tell you it's not life threatening." Thank you! I'm so glad we got that cleared up! I was really beginning to wonder and you have put my mind at ease. I will definitely return here when I want answers because you guys do such thorough work! In all fairness they did try to find out what was wrong and the staff was all really great. My nurses, techs, and doctors were really nice and tried to make me as comfortable as possible during my stay. Of course my bill of over a 100 dollars and the nice ache I have in my arm from the IV are unpleasant side-effects of my emergency room stay, but all said and done it could have been worse and I am glad there is no chance of my dying overnight. At least not from health issues.
So, that about sums up my day. Not the worst ever but certainly not one I wished for. It was an experience for sure and one I am glad I don't have to repeat it, at least hopefully not any time soon.

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

but of course, when it really counted, the conversation went like this:
"are you pregnant?"
"no, I don't need to use the restroom"

sigh. That's just how life is.