Monday, March 17, 2008

Count Your Blessings

Life is an interesting roller coaster ride that never seems to stop. There are the really great highs and the terrible lows, but at least there seems to be a pretty even amount of both. I have found in my life that for most horrendous situations there is usually something good that can be found. Sometimes it takes a lot of work to find it or a lot of patience to wait for it but it will show up. One comfort I have is that there is not only the presence of darkness in this world, but also the presence of light. The night will come. There is nothing I can do to stop it or even control it in any way. But, the morning will also always come and with it bring hope for a new day. I've been trying to learn to see the hope of the new day and focus on that rather than allowing myself to be caught up in the blackness of the night all around me. When I take the time to notice I can see that there are little hints of light in just about every situation I find myself. There are smiles and laughter with friends, there are hugs and kisses from those you love, there is strength and support from those closest to you, and there is advice and encouragement from those you have come to trust. There's an old hymn that came to mind today. It's called "Count Your Blessings". It talks about taking the time and effort to stop and notice all the good things that God has done in your life, all the great gifts He has given you. The song says that if you will stop and count your blessings you will be surprised at what the Lord has done for you and you will be filled with gratitude instead of being disgruntled about whatever it is that is bothering you. Today, I had to stop and count my blessings and I have found that I have quite a few. Sure, there are some things that aren't blessings, but I've found upon closer examination that there are some things that appear terrible, but they have a blessing hidden inside them. I have a family, amazing friends, good health, my needs are basically met, and I have a wonderful Savior Who never fails me, never leaves me. I am truly blessed. So, no matter what I am facing right now, no matter what comes up, no matter how many times the cart dips on my life's roller coaster, I can be content. The Lord promised He would not give me more than I can handle, which means if I can't do it in and of myself then He will give me the strength to do it, and He has provided some very helpful resources to help navigate all my storms. That's such a comforting thought! So, if you find yourself feeling down or depressed about your life or current situations, try counting your blessings. It really helps.

No comments: