Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Lesson

It's June and I am finding myself wondering where the first six months of this year went. Is it just me or does the time seem to go by faster as you get older? This year has definitely been a full one for me, but I didn't think it would go by that quickly. It seems I blink and yet another month is gone. Sheesh!!!! Guess I will have to be more alert as to where my time is going. At least I can say I have something to show for all my time. I am registered and ready to start school again in the fall, I have moved in and am making sense of my new house, I am a fully responsible adult now paying all my own bills (that part I am not thrilled about), and I am adjusting nicely to living on my own. I still don't care for it all that much, but I am getting used to it. I would much prefer to come home to someone, but that is not possible right now, so I deal with it. My summer is looking rather busy but I am actually looking forward to it. I might even get to travel some and that is really exciting for me. I don't know what happened but somewhere between last week and the beginning of this week I quit stressing about everything. I just made the decision that things will get done if I keep working on them and it doesn't really matter most of the time how long it takes me to do them. I know there are things that have to be done right away, but that is not true for most things. However, I did not grow up that way. My life has been STRESSSFUL for as long as I can remember with everything seeming to be a hard deadline of NOW and nothing being able to wait for it to be done sanely and rationally. I think I'm just realizing that that is not the only way to do things. My house needs to be cleaned and decorated and organized, but it doesn't have to all be completed TODAY. It won't kill anyone if I do what I can each day without killing myself trying to finish it. All I have is about 2 or 3 hours to work on it each day, but that is O.K. You cannot imagine how much relief that gives me. It is now day 3 of this week and I am feeling better than I have in weeks. And, oddly enough, I am actually accomplishing more now that I am less stressed than I was when I was stressing about getting everything done. It would appear that all that worrying wore me out and left me with no strength to do anything else. Now that I am not worrying I am able to rest and then have the energy I do to get things done. So, I guess that's my big lesson for the next little while. Quit stressing! Things will get done sooner or later and it doesn't matter which one comes first.

No comments: