Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Adventures

Goodness! My life has been one big adventure these past few weeks. I must say I am a bit tired from it, but in all, it's been a good adventure. I had a friend from Brazil staying with me for a couple of weeks and I really enjoyed having her around. I am still not used to living on my own and it was wonderful to come home and have someone to talk to again. It was so much fun to just sit around and laugh about things. The last week she was here was a rough week for me in school. I was up late almost every night working on homework and preparing for tests. To reward myself I agreed to accompany my friend on a stay at the biosphere research center that is about an hour outside Tucson. It was really different, but really cool. I was sad we only had one night to be there. It was sort of like living in a sci-fi movie for the night. Wacky but cool. We met some really great scientists and I reacquainted with someone I had met at an early event. We had a lot of fun talking, messing around on the piano and watching youtube videos of silly musicians. Who knew that a science gathering about rain forests could turn into a quasi musical gather?? It was really very enjoyable, though. The next morning we had to get up and eat breakfast and return to the city so I could attend my third educational conference of the year. I was running a bit late as I dropped my friend off at the house and continued on to the university, but I didn't really care. I was tired, so tired. When I arrived the conference attendees were on break, which gave me a great opportunity to find my lab mates and catch the last half of the presenters. The talks were great for the most part and I found myself forgetting how tired I was as I became engrossed in the lectures. The only downside was the man sitting next to me who smelled like he hadn't showered in days. I thought for sure my sense of smell was going to be ruined forever, but thankfully the olfactory nerves start to ignore a stimulus when it becomes overwhelming. I always knew there was a reason for that! Anyhoo, the rest of the conference was great and my lab partner and I had a good time eating lunch and presenting our poster. The rest of the day and Sunday I attempted to recover from my brutal schedule the week before, but that only partially worked. After helping my friend get ready to go and then driving her to the airport I was feeling pretty tired and ready to do nothing but sleep. I am happy to say I did just about that and it was wonderful. The next week started with a bang with the first of two tests that week being on Tuesday. The next one was on Friday and there was an online assignment that was due as well. I spent the whole week studying once again and trying to maintain my job as well as my work in the lab. It was crazy!!! I kept telling myself it would get better when Spring Break came. Spring Break is here and it has hardly gotten better. Although, I must say I have had some really good times this weeks. Another friend came to visit me and stayed a couple of days. We went out and had several girl get together with some mutual friends. It was a lot of fun. The absolute silliness that goes on when a group of girls gets together is not to be matched by much else. It had been a while since I had been on a girl's outing and I found myself really missing it. I am still working, in fact working more this week than usual, as well as working in the lab and still working on that online assignment. I was sad to see my friend leave yesterday, but a little relieved to not be entertaining anyone else for the next little bit. Now, I am home trying to get things done. Oh ya! I forgot to mention that in the middle of all this I was accepted to two graduate programs and have been trying to find out as much as I can about both. It's a lot of work and I have spent hours on the computer trying to find information and figure things out, but it is also very exciting. I will most likely be moving this summer and I am really excited about that adventure. Of course, if it proves to be anything close to what I've been experiencing I might die at a young age, but I would die happy. So, that's been my life for now. Crazy but good.

No comments: