Thursday, June 7, 2007

When Life Comes Back to Bite You

Have you ever done anything that you wish you never had? Most people would say yes. I know I have. The worst thing is when those things come back to bite you. Decisions you've made and things you've done don't always have an immediate result, but when the result comes it doesn't matter that it took longer to get there, it still hurts. The worst is when you do something that ends up hurting someone else. That's a double consequence. Not only are you hurt by what you did but you hurt someone else, possibly even someone you care about. Then you not only have to deal with trying to recover for yourself, but you want to help that other person recover as well. Sometimes, though, that isn't possible. There are some things we can't mend, some hurts we can't heal. There are some things that are unforgivable and some things that are unforgettable. There's a saying that time heals all wounds, but that isn't true. The wounds are just temporarily hidden and then they fester and grow until eventually they resurface in some way or another. The only thing to do is to treat them, to deal with them the best you can and let them really heal. Of course, there isn't much we can do to heal the wounds of others. We can offer support and try to be there for them and help them as much as possible, but ultimately they will have to be the ones to heal their wounds. I would say that many times this is not possible without the help of the Lord. Some wounds are just too deep for us to handle on our own, but nothing is too big for Him to handle. I have had many wounds in my life, some I didn't even know where there until recently. Dealing with those things has been really difficult, but I have asked Jesus to help me and with each scar I have had to face He has helped me deal with the underlying pain that brought it about. I know that no matter how big the hurt, and I have had some big ones, I can go to Him and when I'm in His presence there is healing. So when bad decisions come to fruition, whether they be mine or someone else's, at least I have the assurance that there is help for my hurt, peace for my mind, and healing for the deep wounds.

No comments: