Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Some Thoughts

I've been having a rough past few days. Sickness, pain, frustration, stress, and worry have all been handed to me in one huge dose of life. Needless to say, it has left me a bit drained. Ironically, the urge to fight it all has been stronger the worse it gets. I hate feeling down-trodden and defeated. I hate when things look hopeless or problems seems insurmountable. However, I haven't had the strength to fight the feelings of depression and the desire to give up. I've put on a pretty good face to those around me, but inside I've been really struggling. Then I remembered that there still is hope, that there is nothing given me that I cannot handle and that I cannot conquer. I momentarily forgot what a good and loving Heavenly Father I have and what a comfort and friend my Jesus is to me, but He has gone out of His way to remind me and I am so thankful that He has. Sunday morning I managed to get up and get dressed and drive myself to church. Quite the feat seeing as I had been in my house for the past three days, leaving only twice for small intervals. As I drove to church I was reflecting on my current situation and all the seemingly endless problems I was facing. But then, something on the inside nudged me. "Haven't I always been good to you? Haven't I always taken care of you? Don't you know I love you and I will never let you fall beyond my grasp? Haven't you yet realized that I will never leave you alone, never leave you stranded, never forsake you?" I seemed to hear my Savior whisper in my ear. I was drawn to remember all the good things the Lord has done for me in my life and I was reminded of the times when I did truly realize how amazing and endless His love for me was. I can't tell you what a good thing that was for me. It lifted my spirits and gave me a renewed sense of hope. There was still despair in my heart, but light was shining through it. When I got to church I kept feeling an urge to look up the psalm for the day. It was the 27th so I looked up the 27th Psalm and I was so glad I did.
The LORD is my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life;
Whom shall I dread?
Though a host encamp against me,
My heart will not fear;
Though war arise against me,
In spite of this I shall be confident.
For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle;
In the secret place of His tent He will hide me;
He will lift me up on a rock.
"Your face, O LORD, I shall seek."
Do not hide Your face from me,
Do not turn Your servant away in anger;
You have been my help;
Do not abandon me nor forsake me,
O God of my salvation!
For my father and my mother have forsaken me,
But the LORD will take me up.
I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD
In the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD;
Be strong and let your heart take courage;
Yes, wait for the LORD.

I know I have posted that passage before, but it means so much to me and I felt like it was such a precious gift from the Lord on Sunday morning. To be reminded that He is my light and my salvation and He is my hope was so reassuring.
This morning I got in my car to go to work and as I turned on the ignition the radio came on. A song was just starting and it happens to be a favorite of mine. It was a nice reminder as well that God is really looking out for me and He has given me some wonderful people in my life that love me and are praying for me. The song washed over me like a soothing balm. I couldn't help it; I had to pause and just take it all in. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes and start to spill onto my cheeks. It was as though someone was offering water to a parched, weary soul, and I was going to just sit there for a moment and drink. Oh, the comfort that I found in the words of that song! Thank you, Lord, for reminding me that I am not fighting this fight alone and You are bringing me through.
Wish I had a recording I could post here, but here are the lyrics to the song:
SOMEBODY'S PRAYING ME THROUGH
By Darrell Brown & Ty Lacy

Pressing over me like a big blue sky
I know someone has me on their heart tonight
That's why I know
It's gonna be alright
'Cause somebody's praying me through
Somebody's praying me through
It may be my mother
It might be my dad
Or an old friend I forgot I had
But whoever it is
I'm so glad that
Somebody's praying me through yeah
Somebody's praying me through

Through the tears through the rain
Through the sorrow through the pain
It keeps bringing me through
Over and over again
So when you're drowning in the sea of hurt
And it feels like life couldn't be any worse
There's a blessing waiting to push back the curse
'Cause somebody's praying you through yeah
Somebody's praying you through
Somebody's praying you through

No comments: