Thursday, December 21, 2006

Ode to My Nephew

I want to dedicate this post to the most wonderful kid I know, my nephew Porter. He is four years old, every bit a boy, and he is slightly autistic. There are many things about Porter that make it hard to deal with him; like the fact that he doesn't know very many words so he can't always communicate what he wants, or the fact that he doesn't always understand what you're telling him so he can't carry it out. There is also the problem of having him in certain environments that over-stimulate him or cause him to be so miserable you have to take him out of them. There are the usual problems that kids have and he definitely possesses the curiosity of a four year-old. But, there are so many things about him that make him the best gift anyone could have given our family. Porter loves so easily. He is never afraid to run up and give you a hug and a kiss or to stoke your face and back to let you know he loves you. He is quick to return each "I love you" with his own "ove you". He is always wanting to help do something, whether it's unloading the car or making something in the kitchen. He trusts you to take care of him and for the most part he is obedient when given instruction. He loves animals, especially horses, and promptly introduces himself if ever he is around one. He loves watching movies about animals and he loves Veggie Tales. He is very good at mimicking things and I get such a kick out of watching him mimic dance moves on a movie or sing a song as though he is performing it on stage. I love to hear him insist on saying his blessing before he eats which usually consists of several garbled words and ends with, "Jesu name, Men." Porter always makes me smile, especially when he grins his huge, toothy smile and has a mischievous sparkle in his eyes. I have never known anyone that has taught me more about loving someone or who has brought more joy into my life than I could have ever asked for. He's the greatest, even with all his problems, and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

No comments: