Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Guys

Of all the things I have read, heard and seen there is only one sentence that I have found that sums up guys: What the ----?!! You know, the Bible only records Adam's response upon seeing Eve; it never mentions Eve's response to Adam. I find this very curious and I am guessing that there simply weren't words for Eve to express the shock, bewilderment, and absolute loss for what to do with this creature called man. Of course there was the innate desire to help the poor creature, but do you love, put up with, despise, dislike, or simply ignore this fellow creature that demands so much thought and energy to be around? Now, when Adam and Eve were created things were perfect and there was no sin to mess things up, so perhaps Eve felt no perplexity at having to deal with Adam; but my how things have changed! Guys, is there some secret formula that we women should know about so we can function properly around you? If so, please enlighten us. Don't worry, we can take it, whatever it is. We are not so dim witted that we can't figure it out and put it to use. Ah, but I doubt any such formula exists and I am left to stumbling around in my interactions with the guys I know. Will I say the wrong thing, will I give the wrong impression, am I a bother to them, do they think I'm likable, how can I prove I'm just as good as they are? These are questions that most women ask in some form or another with most guys they meet. Sad, I know, but those are the facts. So, I guess the only thing to do is continue trying to do what's best, see what works and what doesn't and hope you don't make a colossal error a you will never recover from.

2 comments:

Scott Jaxon said...

Hmmmmmm . . . Well from a societal point of view the secret formula for getting along with men is to adore them, loft tons of affection upon them, flatter their ego's until they are blinded by their own sense of importance. And then when men mess up, the formula says not to question why, or how or even to recorect them. Just be there to support the man.

Speaking from my own experience I say that interactions between men and women are pretty much the same - What the ----?!! I could tell you some stories. However, I believe that women are much more aware of social interactions and certainly adhere to the unwritten guidelines of what is "appropriate" much more so than a man. It takes guys years to get clued into "appropriate" social interactions. I know because I am still learning! :-)

Jacqueline said...

boy! you can really tell a guy wrote that last comment. "loft tons of affection upon them"???!?! thanks. I needed a good laugh.

but, I will agree with the last part. I think men find us equally confusing. I guess that's what keeps life from getting boring.