Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Trust

Having been through many things in the few years I have been on this planet I have picked up some good habits and some not so good habits. One of the not so good habits is an inability to trust. I knew it was bad, but didn't know quite how bad until I had someone ask me the other day to name one person I completely trusted and I couldn't give them an answer. I've thought about it quite a bit since then I have come to somewhat of a conclusion. Just like love, in order to trust someone you have to be willing to take the chance that at some point that person will betray your trust, you may be hurt, and that relationship may be lost. On the other hand, that person may betray your trust and hurt you but you can work through the issues together and the relationship will come out stronger than it was before. The question is am I willing to take that risk? At this point I would have to say no, and I think that's sad. I want that to change, but am I really willing to take chances? Am I willing to be hurt and know that I can live through it so that I can enjoy the security of trusting people? There is also the fact that I need to realize that people trust me even though I am sure I have let them down numerous times. People take a chance on me every day, why can't I take a chance on them? Unfortunately, bad habits are hard to break and I have a feeling this one is going to take some time.

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I know just what you mean. Some people might call it a control issue...most of the time I find it easier to just do it myself than to trust that someone else will a) carry through and b) do it right. Sad, huh? You've got the right of it, though. It's like how my parents were always telling me and my brother to be nice and I would say "he was mean first" and they would say "well, if you stop being mean, he will too."

Somebody has to take that first step. And, boy, is it a scary step to take.

femaleparadox said...

Yes, it is scary, and you never know just how scary until you've already put one foot forward and you have to decide what to do with the other foot.