Monday, January 22, 2007

A Great Evening

Sunday night was one of the most perfect evenings I have had in a long while. I was at an anniversay celebration for my pastors who were celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary. It was a night to remember. The young people in my church were putting on the event with some help from our adult counterparts. We had worked for months on it, hoping everything would go off without a glitch. We had prepared special music and dancing and a reception at this amazing resort. Everything was in place last night. It was going to be a lot like a wedding reception, and that was cool 'cause I haven't been to one in a long time. The evening started with rain, which didn't look to be a good sign, but then it started snowing!!!! If you are from Tucson, you know how amazing it is to see snow. It makes any day a special day, and if it's already a special day it becomes even more special. Anyway, the guests started showing up, people were everywhere, and dinner was served. Now, we had tried to keep this evening as much a surprise as possible, but we had failed miserably, except when it came to the music. We didn't tell anyone what we were going to do except for a couple of requests made by the pastors. So, the time came for us to perform and it truly was a pleasant surprise for all there. We sang several old school love songs, which I must say went off very well, we did a couple of Broadway type dance numbers and then we got to have a little fun and do some line dancing. Our pastors were very surprised and thoroughly enjoyed it. YES, I love success. I have to pause for a moment and acknowledge that perhaps the best song that night was performed by our pastor. He sang a song for his wife that had been performed in their wedding forty years ago. It was so, I don't know, I don't have words to describe it. All I can say it that if I ever manage to get married I hope I have what they have. They have committed themselves not only to their marriage but to the Lord and the testimony is so strong, no one could dismiss it. They have been a true picture of what marriage can be and should be. Yes, they have had problems, but those problems have brought them closer together and made them even more determined to make their marriage not only work, but be everything the Lord intended it to be. The rest of the evening was filled with mingling, watching my nephew (who had waaaay toooo much sugar), taking pictures, posing for pictures, and all the other things you do at those types of events. After the event we had to break down everything and put it away, but even that was ok because I got to throw snowballs at my friends while we were loading equipment [know, I'm terrible! :)] Then, I drove home and found that it had snowed there as well. It has been a while since I've seen snow cover everything in my front yard. What a perfect ending to a great day. The evening was one of those events that creates special memories you can always loook back on and smile at. I'm so glad I was a part of it and that everything went so well.

No comments: