Friday, January 26, 2007

Doing Right

Why is it so hard to do what's right? There are so many answers to that question and many of them are true, but an answer doesn't always help in the doing of it. I was reading a biography this week of a man who was born-again (John 3:1 - 21, for those who don't know what I'm talking about). After he was saved he came to the realization that everything about him (body, soul, mind, heart) now belonged to the Lord. The cross had severed him from the world and now every thought and action would be governed by Jesus and done for His glory alone. It is one thing to hear this and mentally know this and another thing completely to experience it. If you really experience it then when situations arise you can do the right thing. It may be uncomfortable, at times painful, or even costly to yourself but you can still do what's right. How confronting it was to read this, knowing there are so many things in my life that have not been wholly given over to the Lord. My mind is still very much wilfull in its thoughts and my heart refuses to obey even the simplest of commands (Jeremiah says the heart is deceitful above all else - Jer. 17:9). I could go on and on, sadly, and all because I haven't really allowed the cross to do its complete work in my life. That's why I can't do what's right in certain situations. That's why I fail so many times in my attempts to do the right thing. There are some days and some instances when I allow the cross to work in my life and I can truly say that those are the most wonderful times in my life. There is definitely pain and loss as a part of me dies, but the new life and freedom that is birthed is so much better than anything I had before I allowed the cross to do its work. Now, if only I would let that be a complete work and not hold back parts of my life from the work of the cross. Lord, as I walk this road, help me give every part of me to the cross that every part of me might live in "newness of life", free from the bonds of sin which so easily beset me.

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

I don't know that we will ever be able to truly give ourselves to God while we are on this earth and in the flesh. The flesh is just so tempting! But, I know that it is important that we try our best. I heard a sermon yesterday about the song "The Little Drummer Boy" and he was talking about the line where it says "I played my drum for him, I played my best for him" and the preacher said 'take the gifts that God has given you and with the best of your ability give them back to God.' And that's all we can do. Our best. Every day it will be a struggle, but if our eyes are on God, it's not so hard to do what's right. And the next line says "And then He smiled at me." What a beautiful sight that must have been!