Thursday, January 11, 2007

Catching Up

Okay. I know, I know, I know. I haven't posted in FOREVER, but I'm going to change that right now. At first I didn't have anything to write and then so much was happening I didn't have time to write. My life has been a true whirlwind the last week. I have seen God open so many doors and give me so many opportunities and I have also had to stop and reflect on things in my life and make some much needed adjustments. I will start from the beginning and try to relate it all as simply as possible so you all can catch up on my world and what has been going on with me. First, the new year started with family and friends, being with my church family. I was looking around the room as we all brought in the new year and thinking, "I wouldn't want to be any other place in the world. These are the people I care most about in the world, whom I identify with, who love me and care about me and are there for me through thick or thin when it matters most." Yes, I have friends and people that I care about that were not there, but those there are those that are truly my family. It reminds me of when Jesus said, "My mother and my brothers are those who do the will of God." My church family has been there for me through all the hard times in my life, they have challenged me to live up to the standards the Bible gives for Christian living, they have loved me when there was no one else to love me. They are truly my family.
Then I spent some time New Years Day with some old friends from school. We talked about music theory, teaching music, and our lives in general. It was good to see old friends and spend some time with close friends. Oh, and I slept until 10 that morning so I had lots of sleep. The rest of the week was back to work and tying up loose ends for the coming semester. I found out on Wednesday that I had been accepted for a new job (more pay, benefits) and then my supervising teacher offered me the opportunity of a life time- the chance to be involved in research and then work as a co-author for the published research. I am so excited and so thrilled to be a part of something that I love doing so much. This will give me the opportunity to learn as well as participate in an area of my field that I have as of yet not been a part of. I cannot express the excitement I feel. Last weekend was also one that was very fulfilling in my personal life. There were decision about old habits and relationships that I needed to make but have been avoiding. I was put in a position where I had to make those decisions and now I am so glad I did. There truly is such a freedom when you know you have done the right thing, even if at the time it is painful.
I can't say that this week has been nearly as good as the last. In fact, it has been rather difficult, but God is still so good. I was a little depressed and not very cheerfuy last night on my way to a chapel service and I started thinking about some scriptures that the Lord has made so real to me in the last year. In the New Testament it talks about giving a sacrifice of praise, which is worshiping and praising God even when you are hurting or you don't feel like it, and then in the Old Testament it talks about putting on "the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness". I decided as I went into the chapel that I was going to praise God no matter what was going wrong in my life and how I felt about it. You know, as the service went along I began to have joy- real happiness that is from God- and by the end I was completely relieved. It wasn't that my problems had disappeared, but I had been given new strength to deal with them and my joy had been restored so that I could be positive and thankful about the goodness of the Lord.
One last thought before I end this post. I heard a Scripture in church on Sunday and it so fit my goal for my life that I decided to post it here. "This is in keeping with my own eager desire and persistent expectation and hope, that I shall not disgrace myself nor be put to shame in anything: but that with the utmost freedom of speech and unfailing courage, now as always heretofore, Christ (the Messiah) will be magnified and get glory and praise in this body of mine and be boldly exalted in my person, whether through (by) life or through (by) death." Phil. 1:20 (Amplified) That Scripture is my heart's cry and I hope and pray that I may live up to it day by day.

No comments: