Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Wednesday, Part 2

Here is the second part of this post. I read soemthing yesterday and I wanted to post it but it was too different from the content of the first post to put them together, so it has its own. I love John Donne's poetry and this particular poem is really great. I hadn't read it before, but now that I have it is one of my favorites by him.
Wilt Thou forgive that sin where I begun,
Which was my sin, though it were done before?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin through which I run,
And do run still, though still I deplore?
When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done;
For I have more.
Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I have won
Others to sin, and made my sins their door?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I did shun
A year or two, but wallowed in a score?
When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done;
For I have more.
I have a sin of fear, that when I've spun
My last thread, I shall perish on the shore;
But swear by Thyself that at my death Thy Son
Shall shine as He shines now and heretofore;
And having done that, Thou hast not done;
I fear no more.
How sad that I must make the same errors over and over again and refuse to give up the sins in my life that are not only a detriment to myself but those around me as well. And yet, how wonderful to know that the grace of God will keep reaching out to me, offering me forgiveness if ever I ask.

No comments: