Monday, February 5, 2007

About Me

One can only form an opinion of someone with what they know of them. So, I've decided to post a little about myself each time I write a post. These "facts" will appear at the end of each post so that they don't interfere with anything I'm writing about, but hopefully it will give you a pretty good picture of who I am. For those of you wondering, no there will be no sordid details or amazing confessions of things I have experienced; but there will be summations of who I am and what makes me "me".
So, first "fact" to post is on my beginnings. It will be a bit long since it is a starting point, but it won't be that way for the other posts. I am from a family of eight. There were six girls and two boys (don't even bother feeling sorry for the guys, they managed just fine!). I was born in Tucson, Arizona and I have never lived anywhere else, nor do I desire to do so (at least not at this time). I would call my family's situation one step above poverty. While we weren't living on the streets, we definitely relied on charity and a wonderful church family to keep us going. "Hand me downs" were about the only clothes I owned until I was about 7 or 8. I have never known hunger, but I have known shame and humiliation at having too little or nothing at all. I do have some very fond memories of those first years of my life, though. I remember helping my dad make sack lunches for school when I was between 2 and 3. I can't imagine that I was much of a help, but the sheer joy of being with my dad and feeling like I was important to him is something I will always remember. I also remember waking up early in the morning to find my parents praying on the living room couch. I would crawl up on my dad's lap and stay there until they were finished and when mom got up to go, he would sit there with me and say a special prayer just for me, always reminding me how much he loved me and how important the Lord was in our lives. Yes, there certainly were good times in my young life.

No comments: