Sunday, February 18, 2007

Thoughts

Today was great. I so thoroughly enjoyed myself and being with my church family. It is always amazing to me how secure and sure of myself I feel when I am with the people I care about the most. Sure, there are bad things that happen, disappointments and even hurts sometimes, but that doesn't compare to all the good things we share. I know it's not very common, but I have been in the same church my whole life so the people there are like my family. In fact, they are family. The Bible talks about when you become saved you enter the family of God and truly these people are my family. They hold me when I'm weak, love me when I'm hurt, let me cry when I need to, laugh with me, encourage me when I'm down, spend time with me, watch out for me and so much more. I can truly say I thank God for them and for the influence they have had in my life and if it weren't for them I don't know where I'd be. They are one of the huge blessings God has given me and I am so fortunate to have them be a part of my life.

*About Me* There were so many things I experienced from age 9 on that it is hard to know what to post here. I guess I'll just give a few examples of things that happened that stick out in my memory and tell how I felt about them. When I was 10 I had my first experience with death. There was a baby in the church nursery that all the kids loved to play with. He was so happy and cute. Then one day, he got sick and we found out later he had a very rare form of Leukemia. The doctor's tried for a year to save him. He underwent blood transfusions, medication and even a bone marrow transplant, but nothing worked. I remember praying so hard that he would live, and I believed he would. The reality that he hadn't made it was crushing. I couldn't even believe it until the day of the funeral. Then it was surreal. Looking at his little body in the coffin was like being in a dream, and the corpse lying there was not the little boy I had known. I didn't cry until after the funeral and then it took a few weeks to get over it. It was so amazing how someone could be alive and with you one day and then the next he was gone, never to return. Now that I am older and have known several people that died, that realization of the permanence of death still amazes me.

No comments: