Sunday, July 29, 2007

Four Girls and A Beetle

Today was a great day. There were a lot of good things that happened, but something funny happened tonight on the way home. My friends and I had visited a friend and were on the way the home. My sister and a friend were in the back seat, my other sister was driving, and I was in the front seat. We had rolled down the windows to get some fresh air and a beetle flew in and landed on the dashboard. My sister who was driving freaked out. "Eek! Get it OUT!" She looked at me like I was supposed to do something. So, I reluctantly started reaching for the beetle to throw it back out the window. Unfortunately, the beetle had crawled down next to where the windshield reaches the dash and I couldn't get my fingers in far enough to grab him. I did, however, manage to knock him into the vent. "Great!" my sister said. "Now he's going to come back out and fly at me while I'm driving." "Don't worry about it. It's just a beetle." One of the girls in the back heard the commotion and launched into a story about beetles and spiders she'd captured. While she was talking the beetle flew out of the vent and calmly started crawling over the dash. My sister screamed again. "Get that thing out of here! It's dangerous for the driver!" "I can't," I replied. "I tried and I missed him." My sister then made a crack about how my fingers should be more nimble so I can do this sort of thing. I argued that it was not my agility that was a problem but the size of my fingers. They aren't made for picking up small bugs smashed inside the crevice of a windshield. She then told me I should be better at catching beetles. :o !!!!! Like I spend my time practicing this great skill. Ya right!!!!! My sister in the back seat then promptly asked me why I haven't employed myself in learning such an important skill. LOL!!! What a concept. Why hadn't I thought of it before???? Anyway, I kept trying to get the beetle out and only succeeded in knocking it back in the vent. The girl talking in the backseat stopped long enough to note my failure and then continued on with her story of the captured spider to which she fed a cockroach. My sister then came up with the bright idea of turning the vent on full blast and blowing the beetle out of the vent. Now mind you, this entire time we are driving down the road. At this point I think we are making the beetle more of a distraction than he could have ever been on his own. As she was turning the vent on my sister asked me if I thought it was a good idea, to which I responded, "Sure, if you want the beetle to shoot out at you while you are driving so that you totally distracted and quite possibly drive us off the road." She turned the vent off. The girl in the back finally wrapped up her story about the captured spider, ending it with a description of the fight between the spider and the cockroach. She then started talking about beetles that are flipped on their backs. I could tell she was just getting warmed up and was thankful we didn't have much longer to drive. We traveled for about 5 more minutes when the beetle resurfaced. No screaming this time, but my sister did flinch noticeably. I thought something in the road had scared her, but the talkative one in the back assured me it was the pesky beetle. We stopped temporarily to drop off the two girls in the back and my sister grabbed a piece of paper and attacked the beetle, finally sweeping it out of the car. The beetlewas gone, the incessant chatterbox in the back of the car was gone and I was laughing at the totally ridiculous situation my ride home had turned into. Sheesh!!!! I guess that beetle never knew what he was getting into when he flew into a car with four girls in it.

No comments: