Wednesday, July 4, 2007

July 4th

Happy July 4th! Today we celebrate the birth of my favorite nation, the United States of America. This country is by no means perfect, has much room for improvement and has failed in many ways over the past 231 years. However, it has been a champion of freedom and both human and civil rights around the world, has helped countless nations around the world, and has been a voice for democracy since its inception. It has encouraged free thinking and the pursuit of knowledge and has helped lead out in the discovery and manufacturing of new ideas and exploring new horizons in science, technology, business, and health care. While I may not agree all the time with those in power I recognize that because I live in the nation I do I have the power to change who is in authority and to have a voice in how my country is run. Our founding father used great wisdom in setting up the republic system they did and I am so grateful is has stood the test of time thus far, and I hope it will continue to do so. I also want to mention how grateful I am to all those who have served and are currently serving in our armed forces. Thank you for your sacrifice and for being willing to give of yourself to protect and defend the rest of us here at home. Also, thank you to the families of these brave men and women. Thank you for supporting them and encouraging them as they give of themselves to benefit this nation.
I know for a lot of people July 4th is not a big deal. The holiday comes and goes with little notice of it or recognition of its significance. For me that is not the case. Ever since I was a little girl the 4th has been the major point of every summer. I have been gathering with friends and family at my church to sing patriotic songs and watch the fireworks from our hillside ever since I can remember. There has always been cake and ice cream and, of course, watermelon. It was always stressed how important it was to remember where we came from and look at where we are going. I was taught to have a deep respect for those who gave of themselves to birth and support this nation and for those who are currently giving of themselves to protect this nation and ensure its long life. These are things I want to hang on to and hope to some day pass on to my children. So, if you never thought of paying much attention to this holiday, I hope you reconsider; and I will continue celebrating just as I have done for the past 20 plus years. Hope you all have a wonderful day!!!!!!

No comments: