Friday, March 2, 2007

Good Times

First, I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the last few blogs and the comments posted. Thanks for writing. Now, to let you in on what's been going on in my world. Life has been it's usual winding journey through ups and downs and in betweens. I have been having to make some hard choices but that isn't bad. I've been second guessing graduate school and wondering if I really want to go back but my human conscience (my second "mom") has told me that if I don't she will soundly kick me in the rear until I do. Work has been pretty good but I have to say that the extra chunks out of my paycheck from the federal government do not make me happy in the slightest. One thing I am learning is how to put all the things I've learned in to practice. Knowing how to organize and take care of things is one thing, but having to put that to use is quite another. I must pause here for a moment to give a nod towards the housewife. Last year I worked a job where I had to do basically everything a housewife does: cook, clean, run laundry, maintain order in a house - and let me tell you I was left with a deep appreciation for what the average housewife does. She definitely has my respect. Anyway, back to my life. Probably the best thing going on in my life right now is being able to spend quite a bit of time with the students I work with. Not only do I work with them in school but I also play for them when they perform at various elder care and/or retirement centers around town. It is really great to watch them grow up and form opinions and views on life, to form personalities and identities all their own, and most of all to see their sense of humor come out. Of course, many times I am the target of their humor, but that doesn't bother me at all. I know they are just having fun and they feel secure that they can laugh at me or tease me and I will most likely join in with them. Yesterday I had them at school for quite some time and when the day was over and they were outside playing they decided to have one last hurrah with me. I was called outside by one of the girls yelling my name and giggling uncontrollably. "You have to see this!" she kept saying. When I got to where she was pointing, there on the sidewalk was a huge chalk painting done by one of the boys I work with. It was my initials with silly names attached to each initial and then a silly phrase using the words. Of course all the kids were laughing and thought it was great. I couldn't help but smile and even laugh, more at their responses than at the ridiculous drawing, but it was still fun. We had at least 20 minutes of laughs over that. They truly make my life good. Despite the frustration they sometimes cause I wouldn't want them to not be in my life. They teach me so many things and they keep me laughing, and that is the best part.

*About Me* I know it's been a while, but I will do better next week. Things I hate: snakes (ewww!), spiders (if they are on me), mornings, black coffee, people who can't sing but try, and feeling nervous around people, just to name a few.

No comments: