Friday, March 23, 2007

What's New

Well, I'm still feeling sick. Yesterday I was starting to feel better but then I couldn't sleep last night and I feel terrible this morning. I'm not sure why I went to work other than the fact that I'm pretty close to broke and I need the hours. I will not be very useful to anyone today and I'm not even sure I'm going to make it a whole day without going home and crashing. Anyway, despite the way I feel I actually do have some pretty funny things to post. Yesterday was, well, strange. Like I said, I went to work because I was feeling better but as the day progressed, I started feeling bad again, but I had two performances to play for so I couldn't stay sick. So, around 11:30 a. m. I dragged myself to the first one and it wasn't that bad. I thought, ok, I can handle the second one no problem. The second performance was at a nursing home that I think is probably one of the grossest here in town. Midway through the program something burned in the kitchen, which we were very close to, and smoke started wafting through the room. Now, I have a cold and it's already hard enough to get through the performance without stopping to cough or blow your nose. Add smoke to the equation and it's a hopeless cause. I thought my lungs were going to burst from the strong smoke smell and my nose was running like you wouldn't believe, and I was trying desperately not to stop playing so the kids wouldn't be thrown off. It was terrible! I was sure I was going to pass out from smoke inhalation. Anyway, we got through it and then came the long drive home, which proved to be the pinnacle of ridiculousness in my day. Now, we decided we were two members short and so we could fit everyone in this one Chevy Suburban to get back home. Imagine nine people - seven children and two adults - all squished into this huge black vehicle. The first problem: the B. O., phew!!!! I wanted to ask the kids if they believed in bathing! Of course, this set off a round of comments about smelly pits and such that went on quite some time. Second problem: these are kids and they have been focusing and working non-stop all day, so the silliness will begin now that they have a 30 minute drive until they get home. So there we were, crammed in this vehicle with music blaring. What were we listening to? The Ten Tenors singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Dancing Queen" as well as some Italian stuff to which the kids loudly sang Veggie Tale lyrics to (I must admit, I joined in on that one ;]). It was truly a sight to behold - nine people driving down the road singing "Mama mia, mama mia", "Let him go! We will not let him go!", and "You can dance, you can jive. Havin' the time of your life!" It was crazy! To make matters even more interesting there were kids in the back who were having it out using empty water bottles to knock each other up-side the head, one girl who kept yelling, "Sweet mother of Abraham!", a girl who was valiantly trying to listen to her own music on her i-pod, the ever-present blond who was dazed and confused by anything that was said, and the kid in the front who was noting that a van in front of us had no griddle (grid) on it. When we arrived at our destination and the driving zoo unloaded with much ado as the kid up front announced, "Warning! The crazy patrol is arriving!" The rest of the day was pretty interesting as well, but nothing quite like that, and boy was I glad. That was enough to last me a while! LOL!!!!!

No comments: