Monday, March 12, 2007

Mr. Darcy

As any of you who thoroughly read this blog or have viewed my profile know, I am a huge fan of Jane Austin and particularly of her book Pride and Prejudice. Of all the books out there that chronicle the relationship between a man and a woman that one is one of the best. The dialogue between the two main characters is amazing, and at least from a woman's point of view, mostly true. That said I have to acknowledge that I do know the book is fiction and the characters do not really exist, or do they? I swear I have met someone who is the incarnation of Mr. Darcy. The pride, the inability to be criticised, the inability to be laughed at or more than mildly teased, the assumptions that he is above all and able to accomplish all, the arrogance that was so much a part of Darcy's character. The resemblance is incredible! I swear I could take some of the lines from the book that reference Mr. Darcy and directly apply them to this individual. Of course, I am speaking with a bit of prejudice on my part I am sure, but others who are acquainted with the book and have heard me speak of said gentleman came to the same conclusion with no help from me. So, I think I can now at least somewhat firmly assert that I have met and now know Mr. Darcy!! I suppose that I should also admit that while I am not as well acquainted with his more virtuous side, what I do know of him is as kind and gentle as Darcy proved to be when all was said and done. So, he has the bad and the good and I guess I will wait and see who the "Elizabeth" is that can handle this Mr. Darcy.

No comments: