Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Stir Crazy

It's spring time in Tucson, it's beautiful outside and I have been inside for three days! I am about to lose my mind! For spring break I promised my sister I would watch her son, whom I absolutely adore, but he got sick last weekend so I've had to keep him inside pretty much all day every day. Then, I work in the mornings and there are only two windows that face buildings so there isn't much hope of even seeing the gorgeous day. But, I don't want to complain. The past few days have been pretty good and even fairly entertaining at times. I've had a rubber band fight, I've been run over and into by my nephew on his tricycle, my nephew chewed through my flip-flops so I have none at the moment, roughhoused more than usual (yeah!), I've had a laugh with my students and I actually feel like I have been able to accomplish a few things. Now, if only I could spend an entire day outside!!!!!! I would be in heaven. Oh well, maybe this weekend. Well, I don't really have much else to post, so I guess that's it.

*About Me* Why am I so opinionated and why do I know what I believe about things that most people take a lifetime to decide on? Well, actually, there is a good reason for this. I was faced with many things as a child and adolescent that I had to make decisions about and I had to know why I made those decisions. When your family is split and your parents are presenting you with two different lifestyles and both hoping you will choose theirs you learn how to have an opinion and why you have that opinion. There is no one you can fall back on and no excuses you can lean on as to why you did what you did. You have to make a choice and then be willing to live with the consequences of that choice. Since that is the case, I learned to look over everything and imagine every possible outcome before I made a decision. I looked at every angle, thought of every consequence, tried to see where that decision would take me. Then, when I made a decision I knew why I had made it and was convinced that it was the best possible decision I could have made at that time. I still have that habit today, which tends to paint me as overly opinionated and much too absolute to some, but it's not that. It is the fear that I will be faced with something I don't know how to handle and will then make a poor decision. It's not that I don't have respect for other's opinions and beliefs, I am just sure of mine and I feel safe that way.

1 comment:

Scott Jaxon said...

Interesting post. Great decision making skills go a long way!! And it must have been really tough to be forced to answer to mom or dad as to why you wanted to do what you wanted to do. Nothing is harder and more spirit breaking than someone always riding your back asking or demanding that you justify and defend your every decision. But in contrast there is a great challenge in dealing with seemingly impossible people or persons in a position of power. On the one hand it allow a person to be free or at least in contrl of the worst aspects of those in the power. And on the other hand, making decisions under such high pressure situations can motivate a person to change. And as long as one is willing to strive to move beyond the authoritarians the weakness and strengths and not blame the person in power for the assemblage of their character then one has a chance of becoming a truly amazing and fascinating person. At leats this is in my humble opinion.